NodeSpace is proud to offer the option of Let's Encrypt SSL certificates to all of our shared hosting customers. Since the topics of SSL certificates can be a little scary, we're breaking down the difference between Let's Encrypt and paid SSL certificates.
Quick Facts about Let's Encrypt
- It's free! Who says there's no such thing as a free lunch?
- It's completely automatic! The best things in life you can just forget about.
- It's secure! Offering the same encryption standards as other SSLs, it's big competition.
There are a few downsides to Let's Encrypt:
- No assurance. There is no warranty on the SSL certificate.
- No site seal. Your site visitors won't have any visual cue other than a secure mark in the address bar.
- No green address bar. This type of validation is not available with Let's Encrypt.
Getting Up and Running
We care about the security of your websites and the security of our servers. We have turned on automatic issuance of Let's Encrypt on all accounts on all servers. You don't have to do anything. After creating a new subdomain or adding on a domain, allow a couple hours for the automatic Let's Encrypt daemon to issue a SSL certificate before attempting to use it.
Using Other Certificates
If you have another type of SSL certificate, such as an EVC, you can use it on our service alongside Let's Encrypt. As long as your certificate has more than 15 days prior to the expiration, your certificate will be ignored by the automated process. However, we do recommend that you renew any purchased SSL certificates around 30 days prior to expiration otherwise the system will remove it and replace it with a Let's Encrypt certificate.
Learn more about Let's Encrypt on their website